There are very few snacks more satisfying than movie theater popcorn.
The butter and salt are pure decadence. But very few people realize that even a small container of that popcorn topped with that famous movie theater “butter” can easily topple 1,000 calories. This caloric load, of course, makes it less of a snack than an entire meal.
Popcorn is actually a great snack for those watching their weight or minding their food intake. It’s high in fiber, Vitamin B, and magnesium. It’s also highly antioxidant. Of course, we tend to make it unhealthy by slathering it with butter and salt, which isn’t healthy but is deeply delicious.
There is a way to get that amazing movie theater taste without the movie theater calories, though. We simply use healthier substitutions like ghee in place of the soybean oil-based lubricant used at theaters and enhance flavor with nutritional yeast and light sea salt.
With Netflix at your fingertips, Friday nights will never be the same again. All that’s missing is the parking drama!
Healthy Movie Theater-Style Popcorn
- 1 c. Organic yellow popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Sea Salt, to taste
- 4 tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tbsp. Ghee/Clarified Butter
- Heat coconut oil over medium high heat in a medium pot with a cover.
- After the oil is sufficiently hot (a drop of water should sizzle and pop), pour popcorn kernels into the pot and cover, fitting lid tightly.
- Turn heat down to medium heat and allow all of the kernels to pop.
- Once all the kernels have popped, quickly remove the lid and sprinkle salt on piping hot popcorn, to taste.
- Spoon ghee in a drizzle fashion over the popcorn with a spoon, and stir/toss the popcorn gently.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast over the buttered popcorn and stir/toss once again.
- Serve hot!