Summer is the time of sunshine and salad. What better way to celebrate the season’s chosen cuisine than with superfoods, which enhance your health profile in every way?
- (1 bunch each) Green, red, and lacinto kale, washed and chopped coarsely
- 2 ripe lemons, juiced
- (4) Red and/or golden beets, peeled, cubed, and steamed
- 2 lbs Wild sockeye salmon, rinsed and fileted into 4 oz. servings
- (4) Persian cucumbers, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp. dried basil
- 2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. dried parsley
- S& P, to taste
- (1 tbsp.) Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 1 avocado
- Goat cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp. Tahini
- 2 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 2 tbsp. Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 4 tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- *you will need a blender, Bullet, or a mixer for the dressing
- Place your coarsely chopped kale to the side in the refrigerator.
- BEETS: Warm a heaping tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium heat and toss in fresh ginger; sauté until soft.
- Once ginger is softened, toss in your freshly cubed steamed beets and cover; allow to cook until sufficiently tender.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar and sauté until absorbed. Then drizzle honey over finished beets and stir in still-warm pot and then let the beets cool.
- SALMON: Season filets with basil, oregano, parsley, salt, and black pepper.
- Warm EVOO over medium-high heat.
- Lie salmon face down in pan and sear for 3-4 minutes or until cooked.
- Flip salmon over onto skin side in pan and turn heat down to medium.
- Pour the juice of one lemon over the salmon and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Put salmon aside to cool.
- DRESSING: Put tahini, ACV, liquid aminos (or soy sauce), nutritional yeast, minced garlic, and the juice of one lemon into your mixer and blend.
- In bowls, place a mix of kale leaves; layer beets, sliced cucumber, several cubes of avocado and 4 oz. of salmon on top.
- Top with a heaping tablespoon of Creamy Lemon-Garlic Dressing and a teaspoon of goat cheese.
This fresh, delicious dish can be prepared a number of ways. Grilled, seared, or baked salmon works well; and steamed, sautéed, or roasted beets taste great here.
The tastiest part is the delicious Creamy Lemon-Garlic Vinaigrette, which can go on any number of other salads and even serve as a dip for raw veggies.
And the best part is that this salad takes 25 minutes fridge to table!